News and upcoming
- 'Cloud applications mashup and adaptive orchestration of services' talk at the CNR-ANITEC event on 'IoT and Manufacturing 4.0'. Rome, 03-05-2016.
- Smart Environments and Information Systems session to be held at 9th Int. KES Conf. on Intelligent Interactive Multimedia: Systems and Services (KES-IIMSS-16), Tenerife, Spain. 15-17 June 2016.
- The ECOS (Engineering COmplex and Smart systems) lab website is online at: http://ecos.pa.icar.cnr.it/home
- Holons and System Adaptation.
Invited Talk at 2015 Annual International Conference on Biologically
Inspired Cognitive Architectures (BICA 2015), November 8 2015 - Lyon,
- Luca Sabatucci and Massimo Cossentino. From Means-End Analysis to Proactive Means-End Reasoning,
in proc. of SEAMS 2015, 10th International Symposium on Software
Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems, May 18-19, 2015
Firenze, Best Paper Award (FOCAS announce). Paper pdf
Standardization activity on methodologies: Design Process Documentation
and Fragmentation WG. Website.
Office Location (Map)
Viale delle Scienze, Ed. 11.
c/o CUC (Centro Universitario di Calcolo)
90128 Palermo (Italy)
e-mail: cossentino [ at] pa.icar.cnr.it (write
@ in place of [ at] )
I am a research scientist with the ICAR
(Istituto per il CAlcolo e le Reti ad alte prestazioni/ High
Performance Computing and Network Institute) institute of the CNR
(National Research Council of Italy) in Palermo, from December 2001.
I am responsible for the ECOS lab.
My research interests lie in the software engineering field with a
specific focus on self-organization/self-adapation issues, design
processes, simulation and workflows. I am currently exploring the
implication of some of these researches in the ICT for maritime
From September 2006 to August 2007 and from March to August 2008, I
have been an invited associate professor at the University of
(France). On October 2008 I got my Habilitation à Diriger des
from the University Paul Sabatier (Toulouse, France).
I am currently chairing the IEEE FIPA Design
Process Documentation and Fragmentation Working Group (see WG website)
See also the ICAR-CNR ECOS Lab website for further info on my most recent
Research Interests (see also the ECOS LAB website)
- Self-Adaptive and Self-Organising (SASO) systems
- Agent Oriented Software Engineering
- Adaptive workflows, MUSA
(a Middleware for User-driven Service Adaptation)
- Normative Systems
- Composition of design methodologies (see my publications on
- ASPECS design methodology (Agent-Oriented Software Process
for Engineering Complex Systems). (website)
design methodology (Process for Agent Societies Specification and
- Metamodeling techniques and model driven engineering
- Multi-Agent Simulations
- Maritime technologies, smart vessels
Current and Past Research Projects
- Cloud for Europe (Realization of a Research and
Development Project (Pre-Commercial Procurement) on “CLOUD FOR
EUROPE"), European project FP7-610650.
- AMICO - Automazione e Monitoraggio Intelligente dei Consumi.
Project funded by the Italian Government within the Industria 2015
initiative (2014-2015) (website)
- Smart Grid: Power & ICT.
Contract as consultant for Elmi SW within a PO FESR 18.104.22.168 project
funded by the Regional Government of Sicily (2014-2015). Principal Investigator. (website)
Cloud Computing Platform a misura di organizzazioni agili (OCCP). PO
FESR 22.214.171.124bis project funded by the Regional Government of Sicily
). Principal Investigator.
- Innovative Document Sharing (IDS). PO FESR 126.96.36.199 project funded by the Regional Government
of Sicily (2011-2013) (website
). Principal Investigator.
Funded by the Italian Ministry for Economic Development (2009-2011).
- ICT-E3 funded by the Sicily Region within the ICT Excellence
programme of the Western Sicily (2010) (ICAR
- "Infrastruttura Tecnologica del Fascicolo Sanitario
Elettronico" finanziato dal Dipartimento Innovazione e Tecnologie della
Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri. (2009-2010)
- FRASI (FRamework for Agent-based Semantic-aware
Interoperability). L. 297 Italian Ministry for Research and Education
- Agent Factory. Principal Investigator.
Other and past research activities
- Co-Chair of the 8th International Workshop on Multi-Agent Systems and Simulation (MAS&S'14
). Warsaw, Poland, 7 - 10 September, 2014
- Co-Chair of the 1st International Workshop on Engineering Multi-Agent
Systems (EMAS) @ AAMAS 2013 in Saint Paul, Minnesota. 6-7 May, 2013.
See the call for paper.
- 10-01-2012: the FIPA Design Process Documentation Template has
been approved by FIPA as a standard specification (SC00097B)
- 13th International Workshop on Agent-Oriented Software
Engineering (AOSE'12) to be held at AAMAS 2012, The Eleventh
International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems.
Valencia, Spain.June 4, 2012. ( website, cfp)
Track 3: Artificial Intelligence and
Agent Technology @ The Sixth International Conference on Complex,
Intelligent, and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS-2012). July 4th-July
6th, 2012, Sanpaolo Palace Hotel, Palermo, Italy. (website)
- 9th European Workshop on Multi-agent Systems (EUMAS 2011),
Maastricht, The Netherlands, Nov. 14th-15th, 2011. (website)
- Co-chair of the Seventh Agent Technical Fora. 15 December
2010, Paris (Fr). (website)
- Co-chair of the Agent-Oriented Software
Engineering (AOSE) Technical Forum Group 7. 15 December 2010,
Univ. Paris 6/Lip 6, Paris
- Co-chair of the IEEE FIPA Workshop on Design Process
Fragmentation to be held at The Multi-Agent Logics, Languages, and
Organisations Federated Workshops (MALLOW 2010). 30th of August - 2nd
of September, 2010.Domaine Valpré - Lyon, France (website)
- Co-Editor of the Special issue on "Simulation-based Design and Evaluation of Multi-Agent
Systems", (G. Fortino, M. Cossentino, J. Pavon, M.P. Gleizes, eds.),
Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory Journal, Elsevier. 2010.
- Co-Chair of the AOSE Methodologies, Infrastructures and Processes Track of the 25th
Edition ACM Symposium on Applied Computing. Sierre, Switzerland, March
22 -26, 2010. website
- Special section on Holonic Multi-Agent Systems of the
International Journal of Agent-Oriented Software Engineering (IJAOSE).
Deadline 15 December 2009. (cfp)
Co-Chair of the 3rd International Workshop on Multi-Agent
Simulation (MAS&S). Turin (Italy). 7-11 Sept. 2009. website
- Co-Chair of the AOMS
(Agent-Oriented Methodologies and Systems) track @ The 24th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing March 8 12, 2009, Honolulu,
Hawaii, USA. (website) (call
- I have been the contact for the ICAR Insitute (Palermo Dept.)
of the European's Network of Excellence for Agent Based Computing
- Co-Chair of the Sixth Agent Technical Fora. 17 December
2008, Bath (UK). (cfp) (website)
Co-Chair of the Agent-Oriented
Engineering (AOSE) Technical Forum Group 6. 17 December 2008, Bath
(UK). (cfp) (website)
- Co-Chair of the IX Workshop on Objects and Agents (WOA'08).
17-18 November, Palermo (Italy). (website)
Chair of the
Agent-Oriented Software Engineering Technical Forum Group meeting. 12
Dec. 2007, Hammameth (Tunisia). (website).
Chair of the Fifth
Technical Forum Group meeting. 12 Dec. 2007, Hammameth
Chair of the Workshop
on Multi-Agent Systems and Simulation 2007 (MAS&S'07). Malta.
22 October, 2007 (website)
the First International Workshop on Agent supported
Cooperative Work (ACW 2007). In conjunction with the Second
IEEE International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM
2007).29 October, 2007, Lyon, France ( website)
Chair of the Agents
Theory and Practice for Industry Session at the IEEE Industrial
Informatics Conference, 25 July, 2007. Vienna (Austria) (website)
Chair of the
Agent-Oriented Software Engineering Technical Forum Group meeting. 13
Dec. 2006, Lisbon (Portugal). (website).
Chair of the Workshop
on Multi-Agent Systems and Simulation 2006 (MAS&S'06)
Chair of the Agentlink III - Agent Oriented Software
Engineering Technical Forum Group - Budapest. 14-17 Sept.2005 (further
Chair of the Agentlink III - AOSE
Technical Forum Group
- Ljubljana (Slovenia). 28 Feb - 02 Mar 2005
Chair of the AOSE
TFG at the AgentLink
III Rome Event 30 June- 2 July, 2004
Chair of the FIPA
Methodology Technical Committee
Chair of the Ontology and Multi- Agent Systems Design (OMASD'03)
session at KES 2003 4, Sept., 2003.
Chair of the "L'ingegneria
del Software e le tecnologie ad agenti" workshop (Palermo,
Talks and Tutorials
- Holons and System Adaptation. Invited Talk at 2015 Annual
International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive
Architectures (BICA 2015), November 8 2015 - Lyon, FRANCE. Abstract
- "Documentation and Fragmentation of Agent Oriented Methodologies"
Tutorial at 12th European Agent Systems Summer School (EASSS 2010).
Ecole des Mines de Saint-Etienne, France. 23 - 27 August 2010. (website)
on Documentation and Fragmentation of Agent Oriented Methodologies and
Processes at the European Agent Systems Summer School 2010 (EASSS 2010)
- St Etienne (France), 23-27 Aug 2010). (website)
- Tutorial on Agent
Oriented Software Engineering at the European Agent Systems Summer
School 2009 – Torino (Italy), 31 Aug- 4 Sept 2009.(website)
Tutorial on Agent
Oriented Software Engineering at IEEE Industrial Informatics
Conference, 23 July, 2007. Vienna (Austria). (website)
Tutorial on Agent Oriented Software Engineering at 4th
International Central and Eastern European Conference on Multi-Agent
Systems (CEEMAS'05), 15 September, 2005. Budapest, Hungary. (website)